Data conversion is rather a complex procedure and experts are required to do the job. The complicated nature of data conversion demands that specific procedures be set up. Here are some fundamental methodologies that you should apply in order to make sure the success of the data conversion projects.
A great start to putting together a plan is identifying who should be involved. The data conversion team should consist of but are not limited to IT personnel, business analysts, underwriters (if it is a policy admin conversion), data architects, claim supervisors, and representatives from each department. Having the right team can do wonders in getting desired results.
The root issue of most failed data conversion projects has been because conversion plans were not clearly mapped out. You can prepare your assignment by asking an assortment of questions to identify these boundaries. These include:
- What sort of data has to be converted?
- What should be the quality of data and its availability? Does it need partial or full conversion?
- Which data should be moved to the new database?
- Which kind of data should not be moved?
- What sorts of formats are required for data conversion? For instance, your project might need SGML, HTML, XML and other formats. A proficient SGML data conversion outsourcing supplier may carry out this job and deliver the result swiftly. You can then utilize this data for your SGML-compatible databases.
- What would be the extent of digitization?
- What are the standards of data conversion that need to be put into practice, if there is any, for successfully done data conversion tasks?
- What is the original data format and what is the final format?
- How often would you require doing data conversion?
- Is the destination database compatible with the software used for data and HTML conversion?
- What would be the tentative period of the project?
- What are the guidelines for the process?
The price of data conversion is one of the restricting variables for a data conversion project.
The more thorough your plan, the less difficult it would be for you to control the project.
Apply Data Standards:
Defining and applying data quality standards ensures constancy across the various databases. Always calculate and track data quality and verify the consequence on the business value.
Data Profiling and Cleansing:
Make sure that correct data profiling and data cleansing processes are in place so that the original data is of high quality. This smoothens out the following data conversion processes.
Data Management and Data Governance:
After data conversion, guarantee that the second copy of master data has been removed lessening the danger of wrong transactions and variable information. The project must fulfill all standards of data governance and data management.
A knowledgeable data conversion outsourcing supplier would be able to help you with professional consultation on managing your projects proficiently, right from the start.