In general, catalog content management offers a solution to the organizations for consolidating data into a single source for the stakeholders like suppliers, customers, processes, and policies. However, catalog content management can be called as the core of eProcurement. Content management is termed as a set of technologies and procedures that helps in managing as well as handling particular information of any medium. If the foundation of catalog content management is incomplete, it can result in crumbling of the entire project. It also contains certain responsibilities and roles that are performed by different individuals. These include creator, editor, administrator, publisher, and customers or the viewers. Therefore, it is said that catalog content management is a set of automatically generated procedures, which are beneficial for an organization.
Certain facts must be known owing to catalog content management:
- It is the basis for which all the eCommerce systems are developed or initiated.
- Before the coming up of catalog content management system, a tool called Master Data Management (MDM) was used to manage the data of an organization into a single point of reference.
- Catalog content management propels the data, which was earlier maintained by MDM with advancements in formulation of information and accessibility.
- It allows the organizations to manage their data into a single digital point of reference and that data can easily be accessed from any device.
- It also lets the vendors to present their catalogs on a supplier’s eProcurement website and the catalogs presented by different vendors can be compared to each other.
- It can be accessed by a variety of portals as and when required.
In short, catalog content management is greatly beneficial in the arena of eCommerce, digital marketplace of an organization, as well as for eProcurement. Besides all these features and advantages, catalog content management falls short of popularity and wide usage. Most of the organizations are still not aware of its uses.